Huguenots began coming to Virginia as early as 1620. In 1700-1701, five ships arrived at the mouth of the James River, then the York and the Rappahannock rivers, east of present-day Richmond, Virginia. French Huguenots, having fled religious persecution, had lived in England and Ireland and done military services for King William. They were granted lands in the New World for a permanent home where they had the freedom to worship as they pleased. West of Richmond, many founded a colony on the site of a village deserted by the Monacan Indians. This is a society of the descendants of that colony and French Protestants who came to Virginia before 1786 [see history of the society]. The society headquarters and library are located beside the Manakin Episcopal Church on the original King William Parish glebe land in Manakintown. The society convenes for a National Assembly annually (usually in June). For information on membership and branches, contact us by e-mail at manakintown AT yahoo.com.
Full index to The Huguenot magazine on our site.
Huguenot Christmas ornament available from the Oklahoma branch.
"The Huguenot World of Young Jefferson"," Ann Woodlief, 2011.
a trip to Williamsburg and curious about the role of the Huguenots there? This
is a "hidden" history, now visible in Carol Cason and Ann Woodlief's
A Guide to Huguenot Williamsburg, an illustrated booklet now
available for sale from our library giftshop.
Going to France? Or would you like to search Huguenot resources there? Check out this listing of Protestant Museums and their websites.
The original 1704 land grant for ten thousand acres